thoughts on Step 1

Here are my initial thoughts ):

The difficulty level on the actual exam is quite similar to the Qbanks, Kaplan and UWorld. The only thing that is different is that the question stems tend to be a bit longer on the actual test than what we see on the Qbanks. I generally read the question first on a long stem and that really helped because there were a handful of questions that only required you to read the last one or two lines. For example, I had one long stem that ended with a question asking about cytokines and class switching that had nothing to do with the patient. Saved some time and mental energy.

I had maybe 2 or 3 interactive questions, all were cardiac auscultation. Very similar to the ones on the Qbanks. Nothing too difficult. I had 2 CXR's, but I was able to make the diagnosis without really using the x-rays in both questions. Had a couple Had about 4-5 bacterial stains and 5-6 gross images. I also had a 2-3 radiographs of bones.

Surprisingly I had 2 questions on Scabies and one on Lice. Nothing too difficult but I hadn't really paid much attention to those.

I thought the anatomy was pretty doable for the most part, but there were definitely a few that were really tough. Make sure to know neuroanatomy!! I had about 3-4 questions with either CT scans or angiography of cerebral vessels.

Most of the physiology questions had tables with arrows asking what is increased/decreased (15-20 of these questions at least). These questions are tricky because they give you A-H usually so all possible combinations are covered most of the time. They are very comparable to the qbanks though.

I actually had one exact question on my test that was on NBME 7 (I even asked about it on this forum because I had originally gotten it wrong but thanks to this forum I got it right on the real deal!!)

I also had another question from NBME 12 that had the same picture, but different question. (also got that one wrong first time around but got it right this time

Overall, I think the only real advice I can give is to know your concepts!! Be a very curious student when it comes to the material. Dive into the pathogenesis, always be asking "why" rather than simply "what." It really pays off come test day!

Comments